Thursday, March 27, 2008

Special delivery

My youngest son loves to get mail. He's even happy to receive coupons or the appointment reminders from the dentist's office. He especially loves getting a brand new book each month from the Ferst Foundation. If you haven't signed up your child (all kids under age 5 are eligible) for this program, you are missing out. Each month, a book comes free, until the child is age 5. It's great because he has a nice collection of hard-back books that weren't hand-me-downs from the older siblings. They are all his! And hopefully he'll be a great reader too. For more details, including how to make donations to this literacy program, visit www.ferstfoundation.org . They could use donations to help fund these special deliveries.

4 comments:

Travis Strickland said...

Good role models for girls are hard to find. Though I haven't seen much of Hannah's stuff (I'm a 25 yr old male with no kids), I see her show, and many others on the same network, flanked by advertisements for junk food and junk products. Unfortunately, like many cartoons, many shows for kids are just stuff they put inbetween trying to sell children products they don't need. Hannah has a line of merch that is very popular among young girls. She may have a wholesome show, but I fear it is little more than bait for the products they sale with her name on it as well as the products on the other commercials that appear during her show. This is nothing new. The smurfs, a very popular cartoon when I was a child, was based on toys and whose intial purpose was to advertise these toys...It worked.

Anyway, the blog is nice, check mine out and leave a comment. I'm trying to get a little debate going on the issues I address. The one I just talked about may be a good idea for a future post.

http://travassblog.blogspot.com/

kelly said...

My 2 boys are in a program similiar to that where they recieve the books. My oldest just turned 5 so he no longer gets the books, but my youngest is 3 and is starting to get the same books. I don't want to be greedy so is there somewhere I could donate the books for others to use them for free too?

Angela McRae said...

I tagged you on my blog today! If you have a moment, please visit and play along!

Kelley Sue Photography said...

My son LOVED the book club and was so very sad when he turned 5 and stopped receiving books. A WONDERFUL foundation! I will very much miss my son running to the mailbox for his new book.